Volunteers from St. Clare’s, Temple Beth Emeth, and Blue Ocean Faith to provide 15 to 25 homeless men with a warm and welcoming place to have a hot meal and sleep during Thanksgiving week. This is an opportunity to help out and to get to know some of the people who don’t have the comfort of a stable roof overhead to call home. Those who have volunteered in previous years will tell you that it is an eye-opening and rewarding experience.
We need 115 volunteers to make our shelter the welcoming place we want it to be. Please sign up to be part of this vital outreach to the homeless community by clicking on this link and following the prompts.
You can choose from these roles.
- Overnight hosts: 2 or 3 overnight hosts stay overnight in the lower level near the core where our guests sleep. Hosts welcome the men, share a meal with them, see that needs are met, and serve as contact people between the shelter and Delonis Center. In the morning, hosts awaken the guests and escort them to the area where drivers will pick them up and take them to St. Andrew’s for breakfast.
- Morning Drivers: Morning drivers pick up our guests at 7:00 a.m. at the back door of Genesis. They drive them to St. Andrews (306 N. Division) for breakfast and then call the overnight host to determine whether a second trip is needed.
- Evening Drivers: Evening drivers pick up our guests at the Delonis Center (312 W. Huron St.) at 7:30 p.m. They drive them to the back door of Genesis where the guests will be shown to the core by a volunteer host. Cell phones are used to call Delonis to find out whether a second round of driving is needed.
- Socializers: Arrive at 8:00 p.m. and go to room 9/10 to share a meal with the guests and to initiate activities such as games, singing, entertainment or conversation.
- Evening Meal Providers: The on-line sign-up specifies menu needs for each day. Evening meal providers sign up to provide these items. Hot foods must come from a commercial kitchen to comply with health department rules. These are usually purchased by the volunteer from a commercial food provider, heated, and brought to the lower level of Genesis by 7:30 p.m. Dessert items may be home made.